Our mission is to strengthen industries and communities by growing enterprise value and personal wealth in individual businesses through consilient business advice.
Our Guiding Principles
ROM advises management consistent with a set of core values and philosophies:
- Organizations are open, dynamic systems. They are more than a set of discrete processes to be individually optimized. Because improving management is only a part of overall organizational improvement, ROM assessments address related systems, including leadership and planning, both inside and outside of your organization.
- Efficiency and effectiveness are different. Improving efficiency by reducing costs or time does not necessarily increase the ability to meet organizational goals. ROM aims at leverage points needed to assure quality, relevance, and productivity.
- Program management is an inherent executive function. Consultants can advise, support, and coach, but they should not work in isolation and provide prepackaged, turnkey solutions. ROM collaborates with you to assure that you are intimately involved in the development and ownership of options.
- Structures and strategies exist for a reason. Organizational strategy is as emergent as it is prescriptive. ROM works under your structure, builds from your recent management assessments, and starts from where you are. We do not provide canned answers based on assessment templates.
- Risk mitigation is sometimes more important than optimization. Mission performance may mean developing structures to avoid mistakes as well as those needed to improve efficiency. ROM will help you decide where this is appropriate. Beyond making your organization more effective, our aim is to make it fault-tolerant and failure resistant.
- Prescription without diagnosis is malpractice. “Been there, done that” can only go so far in organizational assessment, strategy and performance improvement. No one, not even you, has been where your organization is going over the next few years. We commit our diagnostic expertise, independence and objectivity to help you to plan the best course.
- Consultants should be bright, be brief, and then be gone. Management needs just-in-time advice, not a consultant who hangs on forever. ROM provides assessments and options that you can implement, and then helps you develop internal skills so that you can sustain the growth and improvements we started together. Only when we have earned you respect can we then discuss a longer term relationship as a trusted advisor.
- Professionalism and confidentiality are the highest order. A Certified Management Consultant, the highest accreditation in the management consulting profession, leads all ROM consulting teams. The CMC® is awarded to recognize experience, professionalism, confidentiality, and adherence to high ethical standards. ROM’s President literally wrote the Code of Ethics and enforcement procedures used by the U.S. management consulting certifying body.